Sunday, February 26, 2012

Vinegar Can Do Most Anything

Vinegar has a great variety of industrial, medical, and domestic uses.  My dad developed a vinegar and ice medley to sooth my high school boyfriend's sunburn - he smelled really funny (and didn't think it worked).  A few years ago my dad mixed apple cider vinegar and honey to cure my husband's hiccups -the taste alone reportedly scared away his hiccups.  Now my dad is cleaning his kitchen with vinegar in a spray bottle!  Dad - I am finally paying attention.  Even Wikipedia has an extensive entry on this liquid substance which consists mainly of acetic acid and water.  While I have long enjoyed balsamic vinegar on my Caprese salad, I have only recently learned about the earth-friendly applications of this non-toxic multipurpose solution.  


Vinegar is affordable and earth-friendly - even the organic varieties!  Did you know that vinegar is great for cleaning windows?  (This story link troubleshoots the streaks that you may experience:  http://www.care2.com/greenliving/how-to-clean-with-vinegar.html.)  Mixed in equal parts with water, vinegar is also effective for cleaning microwaves, bathroom tiles, and kitchen surfaces.  Vinegar can also be used in gardening and laundry.  A 1001 ways to use vinegar in and around the home is available online at http://www.vinegartips.com.  I do also want to point out that I found a story on eight ways to NOT use vinegar (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-ways-not-to-use-vinegar.html).


After reading this post, I hope that you too will find inspiration to purchase a bottle of vinegar next time you are at the store and conduct your own experiments around the house!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's amazing how much vinegar is useful for that I wasn't aware of. It's so silly how we all use bad chemicals to clean because we don't know about how useful things things vinegar can be. I love your blog! I'm so proud of you for starting one, and I am reading. Keep it up :)
    Love,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete