I first learned the phrase "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" living in San Diego during my sixth-grade school year. I have been a recycle promoter ever since. My education and travel have given me the perspective that there are limited natural resources and pristine places on the planet. The site of a landfill is all the motivation I need now to keep me recycling! The benefits of recycling far outweigh the minor inconveniences, and include: energy and resource conservation, land conservation (fewer landfills), pollution reduction, and even economic benefits.
My super cool sister and my parents believed in me and started asking house-party guests to recycle beverage containers and what-not. In my experience this is not always an easy thing to ask which makes me that much prouder of my family.
In my neighborhood we pay Waste Management (approximately $20 per month) for the privilege to recycle. The cost is amazing, if not ridiculous but even more amazing is that Waste Management will not accept glass in our recycling bin so for years we were driving to Magnolia to recycle our glass. Then in 2010 my husband's best friend started recycling our glass at his home when his neighborhood became incorporated into the RecycleBank program offered through the City of Houston. This program offers five "Points" for every two pounds of waste recycled and the "Points" can be redeemed online for a large variety of rewards. You can find out more about RecycleBank online at www.Recyclebank.com. I want to point out that you can earn "Points", regardless of where you live, by donating to Goodwill and/or doing a variety of other green good deeds.
I also want to share that on Earth911.com you will find a resourceful search tool to help answer your what can I recycle and where do I go to recycle questions. I learned that there are approximately 1 million ways to recycle included on this website, covering more than 300 products. How great is that?!?
Happy Recycling!
No comments:
Post a Comment