Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Choosing Organic Fruits and Vegetables

In most grocery stores you are likely confronted with the choice of whether or not to buy organic food options. This is really exciting to me even if it only raises awareness to the issue.  Of course, organic food is typically more expensive. (I must admit that I formerly preferred to save money in my shopping basket to purchase new fancy shoes.)

However since the girls were born, I started to really care about the food we ate at home. I bought A LOT of organic baby food that first year and then I have started to transition our pantry and refrigerator to contain more organic items, including milk, meat, eggs, sugar, and produce. I admit that I still have A LOT to learn about organic food, but here are the basics:

1. Organic is good for the environment, reducing pollution and conserving water and soil quality.
2. There are no pesticides involved in the farming of organics.
3. Organic food must not contain artificial additives (i.e. preservatives, coloring).
4. The assertion that organic food is more nutritious is still unproven, according to the Mayo Clinic.

In my quest for more information I came across the Environmental Working Group.  Have you heard of the Environmental Working Group or "EWG"?  This is a non-profit organization (NGO) focused on providing you and me with information to protect the environment and public health.  They have a very fair FAQ page that explores some tough questions in the debate on whether to choose organic.  I learned about this NGO while researching the benefits of buying organic produce.  They publish the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" list of produce and this information is also offered a smart phone application that serves as a shopping guide (see table below).

Organic may not be preferable to everyone.  For me, having the choice (therefore access), to both options is key.  When I buy organic I make a choice and am sending a message that I support environmentally friendly farming over factory farming.

EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce

Dirty Dozen
Buy these organic
1
Apple
Apples
2
Celery
Celery
3
Strawberries
Strawberries
4
Peaches
Peaches
5
Spinach
Spinach
6
Nectarines
Nectarines
– imported
7
Grapes
Grapes – imported
8
Red Pepper
Sweet bell peppers
9
Potatoe
Potatoes
10
Blueberries
Blueberries
– domestic
11
Lettuce
Lettuce
12
Kale
Kale/collard greens
Clean 15
Lowest in Pesticide
1
Onions
Onions
2
Sweet Corn
Sweet Corn
3
Pineapple
Pineapples
4
Avocado
Avocado
5
Asparagus
Asparagus
6
Peas
Sweet peas
7
Mango
Mangoes
8
Eggplant
Eggplant
9
Cantelope
Cantaloupe
- domestic
10
Kiwi
Kiwi
11
Cabbage
Cabbage
12
Watermelon
Watermelon
13
Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
14
Grapefruit
Grapefruit
15
Mushrooms
Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment