Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tomball Farmers Market and My Garden

We took the girls to the Tomball Farmers Market this weekend on a search for fresh, local produce.  We found green onions, strawberries, and purple cauliflower.  The girls did not so much love the cauliflower (even with shredded cheese melted on top) but Sydney did tell me that my hot from the oven strawberry summer cake was "delicious".  I thought so too, therefore I want to share the recipe with you all.  The recipe is from a blog titled Smitten Kitchen.  It was funny to cook a "summer" cake when spring has only just begun but it is already so hot outside - my goodness!

Speaking about the weather, an older gentleman approached me at HEB the other day as I was evaluating the tomato plants for sale.  He warned me that he had learned never to plant before Easter for danger of freezing temperatures.  I certainly thanked him for his advice and after we separated I loaded my cart with tomato, basil, jalapeno, and tomatillo plants.  I spent less than $20 to start my garden with the joyful hope that:

  1. I can prove to have a green thumb this year and save on our grocery bills; 
  2. We will eat lots of fresh and delicious spaghetti using my homegrown tomatoes and basil (our family favorite is also a Smitten Kitchen recipe, see "spaghetti with chickpeas"); and 
  3. The tomatillos and jalapenos will make for a most delightful salsa or enchilada topping.
If I can dream BIG, I must say that I aspire to sell my excess produce at the Tomball Farmers Market this summer.  I am also hopeful that the girls will continue to enjoy gardening with me.  




1 comment:

  1. I would love to successfully grow tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers , and berries. I've made half hearted attempts in the past. But maybe this year I'll follow through.

    ReplyDelete