Thursday, June 7, 2012

BPA Free - Must I Surrender Canned Tomatoes?

Last night I prepared another smitten kitchen recipe - barley risotto with beans and greens.  Dinner was a big hit with the girls and then my husband complimented me on my "creative" cooking choices and said the meal was delicious (though next time he asked that I leave out the greens).  I enjoyed his compliments and eagerly noted that this was a meat-free dinner.  This morning I was still reveling in my success at preparing healthy meals for my family until I read "7 Foods That Should Never Cross Your Lips".  This article was written by Anne Underwood and originally published in the November 2009 edition of Prevention, an American healthy lifestyle magazine.  The article interviews seven food scientists, ranging from fisheries to organic food experts, highlighting the one food they would never eat.  The first food scientist highlighted, an endocrinologist, studies bisphenol-A or "BPA". 

A lot of new moms like me learn about BPA when they go to buy baby bottles and notice that most of these plastic products exclaim on the packaging, in big and bold print, to be "BPA free".  As Wikipedia reports, BPA has been controversial since 2008 which then prompted some government entities (like the European Union and Canada) to ban BPA in baby bottles.   Research reveals that BPA is linked to ailments ranging from reproductive problems to heart diseases, diabetes, and obesity.  The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has conducted preliminary risk assessments and continues to evaluate possible rulemaking (see BPA Action Plan Summary).

In the magazine article, the endocrinologist offers that he will not eat CANNED TOMATOES, noting that the acidity of the tomatoes causes BPA to leach from the tin can lining.  Really?!?!!  Picture me, scowling at the computer screen and waving my arms with contempt, learning that one of my wholesome and organic cooking staples has been put on a black list.  Of course my baby bottles and plastics are labeled "BPA free", I have drank the proverbial Kool-Aid, but asking me to give up my canned tomato sauce may prove to be too much.  In the name of "BPA Free" do I sacrifice my awesome homemade spaghetti sauce, my yummy spinach and chickpeas, and my quick tomato bisque?  I really do not know.

All I can say right now is that I must investigate the academic research and resolve this personal conflict, while attempting to keep my dilemma a secret from my husband.  If he finds out, we may be destined to revert back to dinners of bagged ravioli or frozen french fries and chicken nuggets.  Okay I exaggerate, but only a little....

Thanks for reading and I would love your advice.

3 comments:

  1. Danna, I've run into the same problem as we use a lot of canned tomatoes. I've found my HEB carries Pomi tomatoes, which are in a BPA free cardboard box. I can't say we always buy them, but they are an alternative. And as they aren't popular, my HEB sometimes discounts them to get rid of them before they get close to expiration. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the same article! We grow our own tomatoes and buy them at the farmer's market, slice and freeze at the end of the summer for use during the winter :)You may live in a warm enough area though that you could grow them year round. I am not so lucky in IL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice, Amanda and Marie.

    ReplyDelete