Monday, June 25, 2012

BPA Free: Yes, We Should Strive For It

Three weeks of investigation and internal reflection too, I have come to realize that I should strive to make choices that exclude BPA from our diet though we must realize that as modern-day consumers we are exposed to this man-made chemical often.  These days BPA can be found on most supermarket shelves, including:  soda cans, canned foods, and infant formula canisters (note:  most formula manufacturers committed to removing BPA from the canisters by October 2011).  There has been a considerable amount of news regarding BPA exposure due to cash register receipts.  Nearly everything plastic contains BPA.  There is a wealth of information available on the internet about the widespread use of BPA and the implications to our health and our environment.  Below are three examples:
  1. In 2005 an article published in Environmental Health Perspectives reviewed more than 100 studies that evaluated the effects of BPA on animals and humans.  (Note:  the lead author of this 2005 article is the food scientist who stated he would never eat canned tomatoes in the Prevention magazine article I mentioned in my last entry.) 
  2. The National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) petitioned the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in 2008 to ban BPA from food packaging and this March the FDA rejected this petition.  Time Magazine published a good summary of these events in a story titled "Why the FDA Hasn't Banned Potentially Toxic BPA (Yet)".
  3. Safer States, a network of diverse environmental coalitions and organizations, notes that 11 states have already passed laws banning the use of BPA (mostly in baby bottles and sippy cups).  Texas is sadly not included on this list.  
And since I can't keep a secret from my husband,  I eventually shared my canned tomatoes dilemma with him.  I am glad I did.  He smartly pointed out that I should think about the issue quantitatively; and he asked me questions about our relative exposure to BPA through canned foods.  He makes a good point; we eat healthy and incorporate a lot of fresh produce into our meals.  There is no easy answer to his request to estimate relative exposure (that I have found yet).  So I must rely on my common sense:  while the verdict is still out on the potential impacts of BPA I will try to limit our consumption of canned tomatoes and other food products that incorporate BPA in the packaging.   The big lesson learned for me is that I should stay aware of the research and policy efforts underway to manage the risks associated with BPA and other potentially harmful chemicals.   I need to balance the information I gain with a broader appreciation for the relative risks we face on a day-to-day basis.  


In closing, I want to share that for me this journey to become a greener consumer is exciting and can quickly become overwhelming (considering all the decisions that I wish I had made differently up until now).   I am learning so much and want to share it as fast as I can.  So, I found a great reference in a website/blog called Safe Mama.  If you are interested in learning more about the potentially harmful chemicals found in baby products, the author has developed a great quick guide to the concerning chemicals that are commonly found in products like baby shampoo, bubble bath, and sunscreens.  No matter what products and brands we fill our shopping carts with, I think the most important thing is that we make informed decisions.



No comments:

Post a Comment