Well now back to potty training, where we have been "in training" for a year now and the last two months have particularly been a chore. It would appear that the girls know how to potty but that they decide when (or if) they want to go to the potty like big girls. Many of the accidents we have at home seem to be intentional (e.g. moments after I ask them if they need to potty and they say "NO") . I came to realize that we would just have to stay positive through the accidents and make sure that we had plenty of dry panties in the house. Lots of little messes to clean up and a little more laundry than usual these last few weeks but I am happy to report that we have seen a lot of progress. We are only wearing diapers at night, which means two disposable diapers a day destined for the landfill instead of 10 or so. And lastly, both girls kept their bottoms dry all day yesterday while out and about celebrating the 4th of July. Hooray!
Join me in my adventures as stay-at-home mom striving to make the world a better place with healthy living and smart green choices.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
Potty Training Celebration (and a word about cloth diapers)
A year ago I thought I was so clever; I had already started to train my 1 1/2 year old girls how to go potty like big girls. The girls would sit on the potty readily and they would occasionally pat their diapers and say "ba" to indicate that they needed to go to the potty. This early start was prompted primarily by my desire to do away with disposable diapers and my guilt for not realizing how smart today's cloth diapers are designed. I missed a really great cloth diaper review that was published in 2009. Back then I was too busy researching diaper cleaning services (which virtually don't exist), when instead I should have been looking at these all-in-one cloth diapers. I absolutely intend to use cloth diapers next time.
Well now back to potty training, where we have been "in training" for a year now and the last two months have particularly been a chore. It would appear that the girls know how to potty but that they decide when (or if) they want to go to the potty like big girls. Many of the accidents we have at home seem to be intentional (e.g. moments after I ask them if they need to potty and they say "NO") . I came to realize that we would just have to stay positive through the accidents and make sure that we had plenty of dry panties in the house. Lots of little messes to clean up and a little more laundry than usual these last few weeks but I am happy to report that we have seen a lot of progress. We are only wearing diapers at night, which means two disposable diapers a day destined for the landfill instead of 10 or so. And lastly, both girls kept their bottoms dry all day yesterday while out and about celebrating the 4th of July. Hooray!
Well now back to potty training, where we have been "in training" for a year now and the last two months have particularly been a chore. It would appear that the girls know how to potty but that they decide when (or if) they want to go to the potty like big girls. Many of the accidents we have at home seem to be intentional (e.g. moments after I ask them if they need to potty and they say "NO") . I came to realize that we would just have to stay positive through the accidents and make sure that we had plenty of dry panties in the house. Lots of little messes to clean up and a little more laundry than usual these last few weeks but I am happy to report that we have seen a lot of progress. We are only wearing diapers at night, which means two disposable diapers a day destined for the landfill instead of 10 or so. And lastly, both girls kept their bottoms dry all day yesterday while out and about celebrating the 4th of July. Hooray!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment